Skip to content
- Belmond (formerly Orient-Express) trains are synonymous with luxury and unforgettable memories, and their two trains in Peru are no exception. Almaz Journeys is proud to offer these incomparable rail itineraries in our custom, private journeys in Peru.
- Both the famed Hiram Bingham train (Cusco-Machu Picchu) and the new luxury sleeper Andean Explorer (Cusco-Lake Titicaca-Arequipa) feature different itinerary options, so there are multiple possibilities to include either–or both–in a trip of a lifetime to Peru!
- Here we offer you an overview of each train and its routes, to get you inspired. Then, reach out to one of our Travel Managers to start planning your trip to this unrivaled destination.
Request Itinerary PDF
Day Belmond Hiram BinghamBelmond Hiram Bingham
Cusco - Machu Picchu
Named after the U.S. explorer and researcher who rediscovered Machu Picchu in 1911 with guidance from local indigenous farmers, the Belmond Hiram Bingham offers the most luxurious way to reach the awe-inspiring Incan citadel.
The train is decorated in the style of 1920s Pullman carriages, with polished wood and brass, large comfortable armchairs and gleaming crystal. During the approximately 3.5-hour journey between ancient Cusco and Machu Picchu, guests are treated to cocktails and canapés in the lively bar and observation cars, as well as a multi-course gourmet meal in the two elegant dining cars.
One-way (in either direction) and round-trip journeys are all possible. However, we often recommend guests take the Hiram Bingham one-way back to Cusco, so that beforehand you can take your time exploring Machu Picchu and overnight at the nearby Inkaterra property, set in a nature preserve at the base of the mountain.
Our Essential Peru itinerary features a one-way afternoon return to Cusco aboard the Hiram Bingham train, after you’ve had the entire morning to explore Machu Picchu with your private Almaz Journeys guide. Reach out to one of our Travel Managers to start planning your own custom journey to this unrivaled destination.
INCLUDED IN MACHU PICCHU-CUSCO (ONE-WAY):
- Pre-departure afternoon tea at Belmond Sanctuary Lodge
- Return bus from Belmond Sanctuary Lodge to Machu Picchu station
- Private VIP lounge at Machu Picchu Station for check-in and welcome
- Multi-course gourmet dinner on board, with a selection of Peruvian wines and spirits
- Live music and entertainment
- Exclusive private waiting room at Machu Picchu Pueblo station (certain itineraries)
- Bar car serving the best Peruvian cocktails as well as wine and beer
PRICING VARIES BASED ON DATE OF TRAVEL, AS WELL AS WHETHER TRIP IS ONE-WAY OR ROUND-TRIP.
ONE-WAY JOURNEYS FROM MACHU PICCHU TO CUSCO GENERALLY COST BETWEEN $525-$625 PER PERSON BASED ON THE SEASON. ROUND-TRIP JOURNEYS GENERALLY ARE DOUBLE THE PRICE OF ONE-WAY JOURNEYS.
Day Belmond Andean ExplorerBelmond Andean Explorer
Cusco – Puno/Lake Titicaca – Arequipa
You can journey through the Peruvian Andes from Cusco to Lake Titicaca aboard South America’s first luxury sleeper train. With stylishly designed cabins for only 48 guests, refined cuisine, and jaw-dropping scenery along one of the world’s highest train routes, the Belmond Andean Explorer is a journey not to be missed by train lovers.
Allow the staff to pamper you in the two dining cars, open-air observation car and lounge car while you enjoy some of the world’s most breathtaking scenery of vast open canyons and endless horizons.
In your cabin, you’ll find interiors that combine modern sophistication with traditional accents, drawing inspiration from the country’s incredible tradition of hand-woven fabrics. Regardless of which of the four cabin categories you choose, you can always count on en-suite bathroom and shower, plush bedding, and attentive staff.
This journey is a terrific extension to our Essential Peru itinerary. Reach out to one of our Travel Managers to choose the best route as part of your custom, private journey to Peru.
There are four different routes, but we often suggest clients begin from Cusco for the greatest comfort and acclimation to the altitude–Lake Titicaca is even higher!
From Cusco, you can do a 1-night journey to Puno, where you can then disembark and enjoy 2 nights at our preferred Hotel Titilaka to relax and explore the natural wonder that is Lake Titicaca.
Or, for those who want more train time, there is a 2-night departure that continues on after Lake Titicaca to the white city of Arequipa, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Check out the four different itineraries using the links below:
Peruvian Highlands (Cusco-Arequipa)
Andean Plains and Islands of Discovery (Arequipa – Cusco)
Spirit of the Andes (Puno-Cusco)
Spirit of the Water (Cusco-Puno)
PRICING FROM $695 PER PERSON, DOUBLE OCCUPANCY.
EXACT PRICING VARIES BY ROUTE AND JOURNEY DURATION.