Panama City Stopover
- 2 nights in deluxe accommodations in Panama City’s historic center.
- Private airport transfers.
- English-speaking private guide & driver for touring as described.
- Advance itinerary customization and restaurant reservations, as well as 24/7 in-country support.
Welcome to Panama!
Arrival into Panama City’s Tocumen international airport and private transfer to your luxury hotel in the historic Casco Viejo.
Panama City is easily reached from all large US gateway airports via major U.S. carriers as well as Copa Airlines, which also makes it a convenient stopover on the way to Colombia and other destinations in South America.
Check-in and remainder of the day at leisure. We’ll help you with some great dining and cocktail suggestions near your hotel.
Panama City and the Canal
After breakfast, depart with your private English-speaking guide and driver for your full day exploration, beginning with a tale of two Panamas. You'll head up to Ancon Hill (650 feet above sea level) for amazing 360-degree views of Panama City and the canal. During this visit, your guide will give you insight into Panama's modern history, including the near century of U.S. presence in the country and how that helped create the country you see today. (Please note that Ancon Hill can only be accessed by walking up and down along a gradual path, as cars are not allowed.)
Your next stop visits the famous fish market where you will have a delicious ceviche tasting. This market was donated by the Japanese government in 1989 at a cost of 8 million dollars and opened its doors to the public in 1994. The idea was for local fishermen to greatly benefit from it and create a sustainable living for them and their families. Today the fish market is a must-see when visiting Panama City.
Afterwards, explore the historic and picturesque Casco Viejo, also known as the walled city. Casco Viejo was founded by Spanish in 1673 following the destruction of the original city of Panama (Old Panama). Together with Old Panama, the Casco Viejo is a UNESCO World Heritage Site due to its historical and artistic value. As you walk around, your guide will tell you about the history that has shaped the culture and diverse population of the city. You'll visit not only majestic squares and cafés but also areas of Casco to see places where locals do their shopping and carry about their daily lives.
This afternoon, you'll see one of the modern wonders of the world with a VIP special access visit to the Miraflores locks of the Panama Canal. Here you will learn about the history and construction of the Canal at the Visitor’s Center and Museum, and then you'll go out and get up close to see a ship transit the canal.
OTHER IDEAS FOR AN EXTRA DAY HERE:
- Enjoy a full-day rainforest adventure just outside Panama City, including the beautiful Soberanía National Park and a private boat ride on the Gatun Lake section of the Panama Canal.
- Visit an Emberá indigenous community in Chagres National Park
- Take a full-day private catamaran journey on the Caribbean coast, full of pirate history and snorkeling
- Go in-depth behind the scenes at the Panama Canal with a special access visit to the control tower of the newer Cocoli locks
- See the canal from the air, with a one-hour helicopter ride over the Canal zone and Panama City
- Cook and enjoy authentic Panamanian dishes with a private rooftop cooking class, followed by dinner
- Explore Jewish life in Panama City with a member of the community
Please note that the order of the day's activities are subject to change based on weather conditions, availability and Canal operations.
Until Next Time!
After breakfast and check-out, private transfer back to the airport for your departing flight.
Looking to spend some more time exploring this beautiful country? Here are some ideas to tempt you to stick around.
- Spend 3-4 nights enjoying the unspoiled emerald waters and rainforests of Isla Palenque luxury private retreat, in the Gulf of Chiriquí on Panama's Pacific coast.
- Check out the cloud forests surrounding Boquete in the Chiriquí Highlands, home to the resplendent quetzal and the world's most expensive variety of shade-grown coffee, Gesha.
- Sail the San Blas islands for a couple nights aboard your own private catamaran.
PRIVATE JOURNEY PRICING
Excited to learn more?
Get in touch with us with us today to start planning!